So what makes someone who they are? Before I would argue and say that it's obviously a combination of genetic inheritance from one's parents along with social and cultural experiences which shape an individual throughout life. Seems logical, we all know someones upbringing can dramatically affect a person's demeanor and perhaps alter the genetic programming in which may have otherwise been the main influence on who they were supposed to be on the outside. However, I do not feel that either of these choices apply to myself. We all know this is not the only instance in which I have pulled something like this, but this is what tipped me off into this train of though:
It was just another day at school last week. I had all ready been to my first class of the day, gone home and come back. I had seen my anthro pal (who I may have mentioned I have 3/4 classes with) in class as usual that morning. I ventured to our fav seats in the next class awaiting her arrival. I am always there first because I believe she has a class right before that one so she has to haul ass over in a matter of ten min. I would also like to mention for the purpose of the story that these seats are a duo on the far right side of the room (if looking at the front). The room is stadium seating so there is a big section in the middle and then sets of two off to either side of the center. So there is plenty of space for all to spread out seeing as the class is not very large. Anywho, I am awaiting her arrival when much to my dismay a nice young lady comes and sits in her seat! Panic stricken I can hardly respond when she cheerfully greets me, "hi!" I'm serious, I barely choked out a hello! So what can I do, I'm pissed. I can't tell her she has to move her ass so that me and my pal can sit and enjoy vomiting at the sound of anyone's voice that pipes up during class other than the professor's. So I just figure i could give my friend a look of disgust when she walked in to convey the insanity of it all! Luckily she didn't come in so it didn't matter in that repect. So the poor girl is trying to chat with me and I am barely answering her questions cause I am so annoyed at how stupid the questions she is asking me are. She didn't do the assignment that we turned in the class before and was just know figuring it out, but with much confusion since our entire lecure that day was going to be based on these discussion questions that we had submitted (may I add that I did get full credit on the assignment with a note from him saying what an "excellent, intellectual question" I had submitted. I know I'm a genius). So the whole time I'm thinking "I can't be nice to this girl or she may think it's cool to come sit with me again, and I just can't have that". I'm literally leaning in the opposite direction of her for a good portion of the class so she doesn't try to speak to me. Once class is over and I am walking to my next class I think to myself "what the hell is my problem? I'm an ass. Why do I shut people out and have zero desire to be there friend?" I mean me and Sarah (my pal) are a lot alike we don't like anyone and we can't stand the stupid crap people say in class. Some people's voices make me feel ill (i'm not exaggerating). I don't feel this is normal. I prefer to not meet or speak to anyone at school. I'm not there to make any friends. This is somewhat sad, many people make the best friends of their lives in college, but i have zero desire. The following day I told Sarah of the tortures I had ensued the previous lecture and we decided that that was why we were friends we hate everyone so it works out. I like her cause she doesn't try to be friends and I do the same so we ended up liking eachother and becoming friends....WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!! I mean I know that is how it worked and it makes sense to me, but it sounds freaking insane!
So this lead to my thoughts. Why am I like that. According to my DNA the only genes I could have inherited were polite, outgoing, and extroverted. I mean my parents LOVE people. I would even venture to say they do so more than the average person. I mean I called the house the other night and Paige said the 'rents were across the street eating dins with the neighbors! I mean who does that? It's not like these people are their best friends, they are just their neighbors. Nuts, I tell you. My siblings definitely inherited the proper genes (if we want to say genes do in fact play a role). All of them seem to be social butterflys.
Okay so then it must be my social and cultural influences. eerr...wrong! Once again, normal parents, great social influences. Went to public school, not from a weird country or city or whatever. Once again, it would be likely my siblings would have been exposed to the same types of things and would more than likely have been affected in a similar way. This may not be absolutely true, however, as people do respond to life in different ways.
So I challenge you readers to think about what I have said here and come up with a plausible reason as to why I am socially retarded and everyone else I am related to is quite the opposite! I would love to hear what you have to say! :)
2 comments:
Third child syndrome?? This post was hilarious but it does pose a good question: why are we all the way we are? it is funny to me that you have ZERO interest in making friends, because im totally the chick sitting next to people and probably annoying them! ha!
Remember the home video where you slip and fell on the wet family room floor before you you were two? Maybe you hit your head on the hard floor and caused brain damage! By the way, lots of peeps have dins with their neighbors
Post a Comment